Monday, November 11, 2013

Expectations for SNAP Challenge--Day 1

Expectations of SNAP Challenge

I really have no idea what to expect this week, living on $29.96 this week. I feel like it is something I can manage pretty easily. Last night at the store I bought two loaves of bread, peanut butter, 2 pounds of grapes, a box of pop-tarts and some processed meat. I came in about $3 under budget. This being said, I really wanted to buy deli meat, because 1) it is much healthier and 2) it tastes much better. However, it was just too expensive for my limited budget. I also realized when I left the grocery store that I did not buy salt, pepper, milk, eggs, or cooking oil. Which means if I was doing this more than 1 week I'm not sure how I would make it without milk. There is a part of me that wants to try this challenge for a month long, because knowing I only have to use a limited budget for a week makes a huge difference. I am excited to see what perspective this week will bring to me; I will either gain a deeper appreciation for those who live SNAP check to SNAP check and realize the money provided for these checks are not substantial enough or I will find that $4.28 is enough money. Again, I have no idea what to expect this week, so here goes nothing. 

--Alex Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment